***Watch the video tour***
Once a Georgian farmhouse, believed to date back to c.1740-1750 and retaining a huge amount of character, the property has been the subject of a recent two storey addition; designed and executed in such a way to blend in and be very much a part of the original house, whilst offering the potential to separate into two distinct living spaces.
Character features are seen at every turn: high ceilings, sash windows, fireplaces, wood burning stoves and flagstone floors; these along with modern styling and fittings in the recent addition.
An elegant staircase rises from the entrance hall to a galleried landing and the principle bedrooms. There are three reception rooms; a sitting room, dining room, drawing room and a traditionally fitted kitchen breakfast with an electric Aga and an adjacent utility room. An inner hall opens to a rear lobby, a laundry/boot room, a cloakroom and access to the cellar. On the first floor of the main house are four bedrooms and two bathrooms and on the second floor a large attic/play room. A large loft storage area provides potential. There are two further bedrooms, a further kitchen/breakfast room, bathroom, study, hall and a second staircase in the modern addition. The extent and arrangement of the accommodation provides great overall flexibility.
The house has a gravelled drive and parking to the front and further, gated parking to the side. This is enclosed by hedges and fencing, with an area of lawn and gated access to the rear of the house. Here there is a small lawn, a gravelled path and a gate leading to a paved area with a pergola and an insulated and self-contained wooden studio/office. This has power, lighting, a cloakroom and a fitted sink and worktop.
The garden is a delight: enclosed by old stone walls and with mature trees providing dappled shade through the day across a large lawn. This is interspersed with occasional trees and shrubs, and edged with mature flower and shrub borders. An opening leads to a vegetable garden, surrounded by walls and hedges, with a rustic timber and glass potting shed and store, a greenhouse and soft fruit cage.
Pusey Furze House is situated in a very accessible setting just outside the village of Buckland: an attractive village of pretty period stone cottages, many with thatched roofs, about a mile south of The River Thames. There is a Church of England Primary school, a public house, a village hall and further shopping and leisure centre facilities can be found in the nearby market towns of Faringdon, Wantage and Witney.
The area is highly accessible by road and rail and is well placed for access to Heathrow or Oxford London airports. There is a regular S6 bus service into Oxford and Swindon along the A420 with a bus stop just a few metres from the property. Didcot Station is about 15 miles away with regular fast services to London Paddington (about 42 minutes) with Oxford Parkway (London Marylebone 65 minutes) about 16 miles away. Road communications are very good with access via the A420 and A34 onto the M4 and M40 motorways providing excellent links to London, the Midlands and the West Country.
In addition to the village primary school (Ofsted ‘Outstanding’ 2016) The area is renowned for its excellent selection of schools such as St Hugh’s at Carswell Manor, Radley College, Abingdon School, St Helens and St Katherine’s, Cothill, St’ Edwards, Cokethorpe and the Dragon School. Sporting interests include racing at Cheltenham and Newbury, championship golf at Frilford Heath, Carswell Gym and Spa and polo at Kirtlington, Beaufort and Cirencester.
For a range of additional activities including riding, swimming and social events, the popular Soho Farmhouse is 25 miles to the north. The increasingly popular Mollie’s Motel and Diner is within walking distance as is The Lamb at Buckland.
By appointment only please.