GEORGIAN SPLENDOUR! A stunning, historic Georgian manor set in a beautiful, tranquil and private position, within easy access of the coast and benefiting from two cottages providing a useful income.
This beautiful property sits within easy reach of the beautiful North Cornish / North Devon coastline, with a range of rocky coves close at hand, including Duckpool, Sandymouth and the nearest beach, Stanbury Mouth which is a 20 minute walk from the property, along the coastal footpath. The sandy beaches at Bude are around 7 miles away and there are an array of fantastic coastal walks close by enjoying breath-taking scenery.
The popular local pub ‘The Bush Inn’ is located around 1.1 miles away from Eastaway Manor, which takes around half an hour to walk to, whilst the nearby village of Shop, about a mile away, offers a recently opened farm shop. Kilkhampton is around 5.5 miles away, and offers a wider range of amenities including Spar, Co-op, pubs, a Post Office and an MOT garage.
The coastal town of Bude offers an excellent range of amenities and leisure pursuits, including supermarkets, doctors, dentists, vets and a local hospital, schooling for all ages, as well as a wide selection of pubs and restaurants. The market town of Holsworthy, approximately 14 miles away, also offers a fantastic range of amenities including a Waitrose. The A39 Atlantic Highway is also within easy reach, which offers excellent links to the A361, and from there, the M5 Motorway.
The area can be accessed from Junction 27 of the M5 Motorway, and along the A361 North Devon Link Road. The nearest train station is located at the regional centre of Barnstaple, which connects to Exeter, and from there, there are regular mainline rail services to London (Paddington & Waterloo) in just over 2 hours. Tiverton Parkway mainline railway station can be reached in about an hour and a half by car, which also offers rail services to London (Paddington) in around 2 hours.
Bude – 6.5 miles (Beach – 7 miles)
Bideford – 21 miles
Barnstaple – 29 miles
M5 Motorway – 60 miles
This is an exciting opportunity to acquire a beautifully presented historic Grade II Listed Georgian manor house, set in a tranquil and private setting, within easy access of the coastline. The property has been subject of extensive renovation over recent years, and now expertly blends a wealth of character features with modern day refinements.
The spacious and versatile accommodation could suit a variety of uses, including as a home with income, bed and breakfast, or multi-generational family occupation. At present, the main manor house benefits from three reception rooms and four bedrooms, one being en-suite, along with one two bedroom cottage and one one bedroom cottage. Both of the cottages interconnect with the main house, so could offer overflow accommodation, if required.
The two cottages are currently utilised for self-catering holidays, which are highly popular and provide a lucrative income. Both cottages benefit from private areas of garden, with Eastaway Cottage boasting two bedrooms, whilst Secret Garden Cottage has one. The owners operate bookings for the cottages via Booking.com and regularly achieve high scores, with an average score of 9.8/10 on the website, and a Guest Review Certificate.
The property stands in grounds of around 3.9 acres in total and enjoys privacy and tranquillity. The grounds benefit from a pond, orchard and a swimming pool that is mid-way through refurbishment (further details can be provided from the selling agents upon request). It is also thought that there is potential to create a yurt / treehouse business retreat within the grounds, subject to any necessary planning permissions.
The vendors are planning to open the gardens and grounds to the public from June to September 2020 and will be charging £2 for entry and £3 for tea and homemade cakes as an additional revenue stream.
Properties of this calibre rarely become available to the open market, and can only be fully appreciated with a full internal inspection.
Agent’s Note: The owners operate their own website which is available to purchase by separate negotiation. The website has a weddings tab, and also offers availability to hire for private functions. The property is also registered with two filming companies ‘Rabbit Media’ and ‘Creative England’.
Eastaway was originally owned by the Priory of St. Stephen at Launceston but after the Dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry VIII, was annexed to the Duchy of Cornwall. In 1601 Elizabeth I, who had leased a number of manors from the Duchy, sold eighteen of them, including Eastaway illegally to fund ongoing military operations against Spain and France during the Anglo-Spanish war of 1585-1604. Subsequently, James I was fully justified in recovering them.
The historic marble floor and two marble fire surrounds are said to have come from the Vanished Palace of Stowe (House) at Stowe, (parish of Kilkhampton). Built in 1679 by John Grenville, 1st Earl of Bath & demolished in 1739. Parts of its fabric are found in many West Country houses.
The accommodation with approximate dimensions is more clearly identified on the accompanying floorplan, but comprises:
Impressive Portico Entrance with Roman Doric columns:
Entrance Hall Historic white marble floor. Stairs rising to the first floor landing. Arched window. Under stairs storage cupboard. Connecting door to Secret Garden Cottage.
Drawing Room A formal, yet elegant room with two sash windows to front elevation enjoying views over the gardens & countryside with window shutters. Timber floor. Open fireplace with historic marble surround. Decorative panelling with arched recesses. Neo-classical pediment above door. Ceiling rose.
Sitting Room Two sash windows to front elevation with countryside views and window shutters. Open fireplace with historic marble surround. Timber floor. Built in storage cupboard. Original ceiling frieze. Ceiling rose. Arched recess.
Dining Hall Windows to side elevation with a window seat. Beamed ceiling. Parquet effect ceramic tiled floor. Original oak framed wall & brickwork. Inglenook fireplace with bread oven. Currently used as a Sitting Room. Oak latch door to
Utility Room Comprising a Belfast sink set into stone work surfaces with cupboards below. Space for a washing machine and fridge. Karndean floor with underfloor heating. Two windows. Cupboard housing electric and solar panel meters.
Inner Hallway Terracotta tiles. Underfloor heating. French doors lead to the rear courtyard. Open to the galleried landing above.
Cloakroom Oak latch door. Comprising low level WC and pedestal wash hand basin. Terracotta tiles. Underfloor heating.
Kitchen / Breakfast Room A light and airy room with roof glazing and extensive glazing to the front elevation enjoying views over the front gardens and countryside beyond. Door to the front elevation. The kitchen comprises an extensive range of oak fronted base units with Belfast sink set into granite work surfaces. Space for dishwasher and fridge freezer. Integrated four ring Neff induction hob with extractor over. Elizabethan style oak framed wall with original bricks. Exposed stone wall with window and curved door lintel. Karndean floor.
Half Landing A door gives access to
Bedroom 4 / Study A dual aspect room with windows to the side and rear elevations. Exposed timber floor.
First Floor Landing Exposed timber floor. Hatch access to loft space.
Bedroom 1 A lovely light dual aspect room with two sash windows to the front elevation enjoying garden and countryside views, with window shutters. Arched window to side elevation. Ornate fireplace. Exposed timber floor.
Shower Room Sash window to front elevation with countryside views, Comprising low level WC, pedestal wash hand basin and a shower cubicle with Mira shower.
Bedroom 2 Two sash windows to front elevation with window shutters, enjoying countryside views with exposed brickwork, fireplace and original timber floors.
Corridor off main landing giving access to:
Inner Landing Walk in airing cupboard housing hot water cylinder, data cabinet housing bespoke Wi-Fi system and electrics.
Bedroom 3 Dual aspect room with exposed timber floors. Exposed section of A frames. Latch door to:
En-Suite Comprising low level WC, pedestal wash hand basin and a shower cubicle with Mira shower.
Galleried Landing / Study Enjoying a dual aspect with vaulted ceilings. Connecting door to Eastaway Cottage.
Secret Garden Cottage
Accessed via the left hand side of the property and benefiting from its own garden.
A glazed door from the rear courtyard garden gives access to
Breakfast Room Overlooking the private and sunny courtyard garden with stone flooring, breakfast bar area and space for fridge.
Kitchen Comprising a range of matching base units with sink set into roll top work surfaces, integrated oven with 4 ring electric hob and extractor over.
Bathroom Comprising low level WC, pedestal wash hand basin and a panelled bath with shower over. Window to rear. Karndean mosaic floor with dolphin design.
Sitting Room Granite mullion window to front elevation. Vaulted ceiling. Exposed stonework. Karndean ‘Antique Pine’ floor. Oak latch door. Pine latch door to
Bedroom Door to front elevation. Window to rear has historic etched glass (dated 1814) with window to side elevation.
Accessed from the right hand side of the property and benefiting from its own garden.
Front door leading to
Entrance Porch With slate floor. Door to:
Sitting Room Inglenook fireplace with bread oven and exposed stonework. Dual aspect room with windows to the rear and side elevation. Stairs to the first floor landing. Exposed beams. Karndean flooring.
Kitchen / Breakfast Room Window to side elevation enjoying views over the garden. Slate floor. Comprising a range of base units with sink set into roll top work surfaces with integrated oven, 4 ring electric hob with extractor over. Space for dishwasher, fridge / freezer and a washing machine.
First Floor Landing Exposed section of A frame.
Shower Room Comprising low level WC, pedestal wash hand basin and a shower cubicle with Mira shower. Timber floor. Window to side elevation.
Bedroom 1 Window to the side elevation. Part vaulted ceiling with exposed beams. Oak framed wall with original bricks. There is historical etching (dated 1832) on a glass pane on the left hand part of the window. Built in storage cupboard. Interconnecting door via galleried landing to the main house, currently blocked but could be re-opened if needed.
Bedroom 2 Dual aspect room with windows to the side and rear elevations.
The property is approached via a long driveway lined with grassed areas, rhododendrons and a small copse, to a set of electric gates and a large circular gravelled drive in front of the property. The lovely lawned gardens and grounds are interspersed with mature trees & shrubs including camellias, azaleas and roses.
In the spring, the grounds are awash with snowdrops, daffodils, bluebells and wild garlic. There is a productive orchard, where in later summer wild orchids are seen, slopes down to the small lake. A pretty waterfall enters the lake, which is surrounded by light woodland, and provides one of many tranquil places to sit.
There are a range of pleasant, sheltered courtyard gardens to the rear of the property, whilst the garden to the side is laid to lawn. There are the remains of the old coach house, and beyond this, a partially walled garden, in which stands a 48 panel solar array. The old piggery (which has historical etching on one of the external stones) is perfect for housing a ride on mower, and in front of this, there is a section of pretty woodland. The outdoor heated swimming pool is partly refurbished with some finishing off work required.
Mains electricity and metered water. Private drainage. Electric heating. Circa £3,000 per annum income from 48 solar panels.
Cornwall Council – .
From Barnstaple, proceed on the A39 towards Bideford and Bude. After passing over the new Bideford bridge, continue on the A39, passing through the villages of Ford and Fairy Cross, Horns Cross, Bucks Cross and Clovelly Cross. At the mini roundabout at Clovelly Cross, continue for about 7 miles, then take the right hand turning, signposted to Morwenstow and GCHQ. Proceed along this country lane, passing through the village of Shop. Continue until reaching the second crossroads, and turn left. Proceed for a short distance and the entrance to the property is situated on the left hand side, with name clearly displayed.