VIDEO TOUR AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST.
The Cottage is a most distinctive character home steeped in history and believed to have been built around the 1500s as a four-bay yeoman farmer's hall house with a later addition in C17th.
In the mid 1600's the property was registered as 'The White Horse` and functioned as the village alehouse until C18th. In 1805 the property changed ownership when a debt occurred and the property was surrendered to Anne Baker Holroyd, Countess of Sheffield. From here on the property was owned by the Sheffield Park estate from 1805 until it was after World War 2. In 1856 a local master carpenter made various improvements and built the carpenters workshop and studio. Thereafter there were owners from aristocracy to carers and finally a much-loved village school master. Further history is available upon request.
The property is the oldest dwelling in the village and retains a wealth of period features. To briefly mention, a bread oven, salt cupboard and range in the kitchen/breakfast room, a number of fireplaces in particular the main fireplace surround with newel posts possibly from Sheffield house and tiles that match those in the church, chamfered oak heartwood beams and a medieval saw pit within the garden.
The accommodation extends to 2903 sq ft, arranged over 3 storeys with a 338 sq ft cellar. The front of the property is entered via entrance lobby with a central staircase rising to the first floor. There are a number of large reception rooms with the main living areas all having fireplaces. Continuing through there is a 16'10 x 13'1 kitchen/breakfast room with a larder, salt cupboard and bread oven. There is an inner hallway with a concealed staircase rising to the first floor, a utility room with steps leading to the cellar and a separate family room/study.
The first floor provides 5 generous size bedrooms, one room serving as a dressing room, a family bathroom and a separate WC. The second floor accommodates a further bedroom and an office/study.
To one side of the entrance is an attractive carpenters workshop with studio above. Adjoining the carpenters workshop is a garage, woodstore and further workshop. Continuing through the garden is an outside toilet, a well established orchard, a detached timber outbuilding and piggery to the far boundary.
The property is in need of complete renovation and viewings are strictly by appointments.
The property is pleasantly located just off the interesting old High Street of the highly sought after village of Fletching being close to the church and primary school nearby. Extensive shopping and other facilities are available in the country town of Uckfield and additional local facilities are available in nearby Newick. Haywards Heath town centre offers a mainline train service to London (Victoria/London Bridge about 45 minutes). The M23, Gatwick Airport, M25, Royal Spa town of Tunbridge Wells and coastal towns of Eastbourne and Brighton are all within convenient driving distance. There are various sporting and recreational facilities around including golf at Piltdown and the East Sussex National Golf Course, sailing and water sports in Brighton and Newhaven, racing at Lingfiled, Brighton and Plumpton and Opera at Glynbourne near Lewes.