6 bed detached house for sale in Clifton, Banbury, Oxfordshire OX15
- 6 bedrooms
- Extensive mature gardens with views over the mill stream with orchard, grazing and woodland
- The house has recently undergone a sympathetic and substantial restoration programme
- Integral 2 bedroom cottage can provide granny/staff annexe or income stream
- Traditional thatched outbuilding comprise, 3 bay garage and offices over
- Further garaging, storage, workshop and art studio over
- Opportunity to create an office for working from home, teenagerâs den or income stream, subject to the relevant consents
- In all about 3.15 acres
Description Historic mill, rarely available.
Clifton is a small village set in the rolling countryside of North Oxfordshire and is made up predominantly of stone cottages and houses. The near by village of Deddington offers a monthly farmers market which is held at the Market Place. The village offers a range of local facilities including top quality village shops (delicatessen and butchers), co-op/post office, restaurants, public houses, primary school and churches.
The nearby market towns of Bicester and Banbury, together with the University town of Oxford, provide full specialist requirements.
Communication is good with mainline station at Bicester North and Banbury providing fast train services to London Marylebone (about 40 and 55 minutes peak time respectively) and M40 (J10) Ardley about 6 miles.
Educational facilities in the area include primary schools in Steeple Aston and Deddington. Private preparatory schools Carrdus, (Overthorpe), St Johns Priory (Banbury), Winchester House (Brackley), Beachborough (Westbury) and The Dragon (Oxford). Senior private schools include:- Tudor Hall (girls), Bloxham, Stowe and St Edwards.
(Distances and times are approximate)
Clifton Mill is an historic Grade II listed former mill with origins dating back to the 15th century. Previously owned by Christchurch College and then by a local farming family, the house has recently undergone a sympathetic and substantial restoration programme. Care has been taken to maintain the propertyâs integrity and wealth of period features and original mill workings, whilst introducing modern day facilities and fittings.
The house is of part stone and part rendered construction under part slate and part tile roofs. Period features include the mill stones, gearing, elevators, grain loft, mill wheel, deep window boards, exposed stonework, exposed timbers, flagstone floors, open fireplace, balconies.
Newly installed kitchens and bath/shower rooms to both the main house and annexe bring this house firmly into the 21st century. Of note is the kitchen to the main house with window seats, inglenook fireplace/cooker space and panelled family bathroom with wooden flooring. An eye to storage has also been heeded with extensive storage found in many of the rooms.
The integral two bedroom cottage allows the house to become six bedrooms and four bath/shower rooms, or to provide granny/staff annexe or income stream. Useful range of traditional thatched outbuildings comprise the Stable Block with three bay garage and offices over; the Garden Block with further garaging, storage, workshop and art studio over with glazed eastern elevation overlooking the mill stream and Cherwell Valley beyond. This would be ideal for working from home, teenagerâs den or income stream, subject to the relevant consents.
There are extensive mature gardens divided by the mill stream (accessed by a newly installed wooded bridge) that lead into an orchard extensively planted up with a variety of fruit trees, hornbeam hedge enclosed vegetable garden, grazing and woodland beyond planted up with variety of trees including hornbeam, willow, oak and ash, all providing an abundance of wildlife and natural habitats. There are further gardens to front, ornamental pond, parking and turning area, hard standing and cobbled area.
In all about 3.14 acres.
Square Footage: 5527 sq ft
Acreage: 3.15 Acres
From Banbury take the A4260 Banbury Road towards Deddington. Just before reaching the traffic lights in Deddington take the left hand turn, continue onto the T junction and take the left turn signposted Clifton. Proceed into the village of Clifton and continue through towards Somerton. At the bottom of the hill, just before the bridge, Clifton Mill is the last house on the left hand side. View more View less
- £1,750,000 6 bed detached house for sale Brindley Close, Central North Oxford OX2
- £1,400,000 6 bed property for sale The Slade, Fenny Compton, Southam, Warwickshire CV47
- £1,495,000 6 bed semi-detached house for sale Hamilton Road, Summertown OX2
- £1,750,000 6 bed detached house for sale Grendon Underwood, Aylesbury HP18
- £1,750,000 6 bed detached house for sale Cherington, Shipston-On-Stour, Warwickshire CV36
- £1,400,000 6 bed property for sale Abbey Street, Eynsham, Witney, Oxfordshire OX29