- 4 bedrooms
- 2 bathrooms
- 1 reception room
- Chain free and ready for immediate occupation
- A beautifully positioned Kentish oast house on the rural edge of Tunbridge Wells
- Detached studio and further outbuilding with potential for ancillary accommodation
- Set within approximately 1.8 acres of grounds with fine countryside views in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
- Ideally placed for a choice of well-regarded schools including Tunbridge Wells grammars
- About 2.5 miles from central Tunbridge Wells and the mainline station
Description A unique proposition - lovingly renovated and extended traditional oast house in an idyllic rural location over a mile from the nearest public road yet within just 2.5 miles of town
Tunbridge Wells is a popular choice for families with its wide choice of well-regarded schools. Public schools in Sevenoaks and Tonbridge are accessible via the recently dualled A21 and Tunbridge Wells is known for its choice of Grammar schools, with Tunbridge Wells Grammar School for Boys and Tunbridge Wells Girlsâ Grammar School less than two miles away. St Peterâs primary school and Skinners Kent Academy are both within two miles and the well-regarded Homewood House Prep school can be found in Langton Green a few miles to the east of town.
The town has a comprehensive range of shopping, leisure and entertainment facilities and a number of popular public parks and green spaces including the Common with its footpaths, wooded areas and green spaces. The Royal Victoria Place shopping centre at the top end of town offers a good selection of well-known retailers and the historic Pantiles and High Street in the âVillageâ provide more individual outlets, boutiques, bars and cafÃ©s.
Surrounded by the beautiful countryside of Kent and East Sussex, Tunbridge Wells offers an enviable lifestyle choice and pace of life combined with convenient access to London and good connections to the national road network via the A21.
Tunbridge Wells station is about 2.4 miles from The Oast House with regular services to London Charing Cross and London Cannon Street via London Bridge
The approach to this hidden gem is as delightful as it is surprising. Hardly having left the centre of Tunbridge Wells behind, High Woods Lane, ultimately a no-through-road, begins in town before quickly plunging into woodland and emerging into what feels like another world. All of a sudden you find yourself on a country lane with high hedgerows offering glimpses of the glorious farmland all around. As the view opens up to an expansive vista across the valley, the unmistakable cowl of an oast house becomes visible below to your right in the small cluster of buildings that once formed the centuries-old farmstead of Dodhurst Farm.
Arriving at the property the visitor finds a classic Kentish scene, the property sits proudly within its land, set back behind a traditional post and rail fence and an extensive gravelled approach, with the classic form of the single roundel taking centre stage. Two substantial brick-built outbuildings can be seen to the left. Currently used as stores and a spacious studio/office, these valuable assets have been granted planning permission for development as ancillary accommodation with work already started.
The current owners took on this unique property in the early 1970s and lovingly and skilfully created a dramatic and striking home. Notable for the juxtaposition of its traditional architecture and the distinctive light-filled modernist interior, The Oast House has been further extended and updated to exacting standards, making use of carefully selected German components and appliances.
Currently configured with three-bedrooms, two with en suite bathrooms and all enjoying the wonderful unbroken views to the south, the downstairs offers a spacious dual-aspect sitting room and a kitchen/dining room that takes full advantage of the enviable open outlook. A further attraction is the flexible upstairs space that uses the structure of the original roofspace to dramatic effect to create a vaulted and adaptable family living area.
Enjoyed for decades as a country bolt-hole for unwinding and entertaining, the idyllic location is within easy reach of Tunbridge Wells and convenient for commuting. Together with the possibilities offered by the additional outbuildings, the property is also appealing to a growing family looking for something very special.
Ref: 14/00480/full/TA1 dated 22/04/2014 for the conversion of the existing barn/milking parlour with established incidental use to an ancillary granny annexe.
Ref: 14/500961/full dated 2/09/14 for the conversion of the existing 2nd barn/store to provide ancillary accommodation.
Square Footage: 1860 sq ft
Acreage: 1.8 Acres
Postcode - TN3 9AB. Driving away from town on Bayhall Road, turn left into Halls Hole Road and then immediately right onto High Woods Lane. Continue for one mile (if you come upon a gate across the road it will open as you approach slowly) uphill and through woods and on into open countryside. The turning to The Oast House is the first turning that you will encounter on the right, downhill on an unmade single track lane. Follow this lane round a bend to the left then a bend to the right and you will find The Oast House directly ahead at the end of the lane. View more View less
- £1,350,000 4 bed semi-detached house for sale Blackhurst Park, Halls Hole Road, Tunbridge Wells, Kent TN2
- £1,300,000 5 bed property for sale Madeira Park, Tunbridge Wells, Kent TN2
- £1,285,000 5 bed terraced house for sale Church Road, Belvedere Terrace, Tunbridge Wells, Kent TN1
- £1,250,000 4 bed detached house for sale Forest Road, Tunbridge Wells TN2
- £1,250,000 4 bed detached house for sale Warwick Park, Tunbridge Wells, Kent TN2
- £1,250,000 5 bed semi-detached house for sale St Johns Road, Tunbridge Wells, Kent TN4
- £1,350,000 5 bed semi-detached house for sale Earls Road, Tunbridge Wells, Kent TN4
- £1,195,000 5 bed semi-detached house for sale Birling Road, Tunbridge Wells, Kent TN2
- £1,350,000 5 bed detached house for sale Claremont Gardens, Tunbridge Wells, Kent TN2