- 4 bedrooms
- 3 bathrooms
- 4 reception rooms
- Immense character
- Beautifully refurbished
- 3,510 sq ft
- 4 bedrooms
- About 1.7 acres
- Tennis court
- 4 bay garage
Description ***virtual tour available on request***
The principal portion of a stunning Grade II* listed hall house, adapted by Baillie Scott and refurbished over the years. The property extends to about 1.7 acres including beautiful gardens and a tennis court
Entrance Hall, Kitchen/Breakfast Room, Utility Room, Drawing Room, Sitting/Dining Room, Study, Ground Floor WC, Cellar, 4 Bedrooms, 3 Bathrooms (2 En Suite) plus separate WC, 4 Bay Detached Garage, Tennis Court, About 1.7 Acres
Court Lodge is of considerable architectural interest and historical note. Originally owned by the Abbots of Westminster, following the dissolution of the monasteries the property was granted by Henry VIII to the first Lord Mayor of London, Sir John Gresham. As a "Court Lodge" the house acted as a residence for travelling Judges of the Assizes Court. Throughout the centuries the property has undergone significant improvement works, most notably in 1929 at the hand of the eminent architect M.H Baillie Scott, a great proponent of the 'Arts & Crafts Movement', who incorporated both his impressive designs and intricate details into his work in renovating Court Lodge as a wedding gift for his daughter. Court Lodge has continued to be sympathetically and lovingly preserved up to the present day.
- Excellent ceiling heights throughout with just a few doorways being lower in height.
- An abundance of exposed timbers, beams and brickwork.
- Beautiful oak latch doors.
- Polished oak floor boards.
- Secondary glazed leaded light casement windows.
- Stunning high vaulted drawing room featuring an impressive inglenook fireplace, first floor gallery and a beautiful tie beam and King post.
- 38'4ââ quadruple aspect sitting/dining room featuring oak panelling and a Tudor stone fireplace.
- Beautifully appointed kitchen/breakfast room with solid oak cabinetry, granite work tops, 4 door aga, fan oven, 4 ring induction hob, "boiling" and filter water tap, integrated dishwasher and refrigerator drawers. Larder cupboard.
- A utility room with space and plumbing for a washing machine is accessible just off the kitchen via a wisteria adorned veranda.
- Fully fitted triple aspect study.
- Three spacious double bedrooms and a fourth single bedroom. The two bedrooms in the south wing, including the master bedroom, are both double aspect with feature decorative fireplaces, fitted wardrobes and en suite bathroom. The second bedroom has a high vaulted ceiling with another tie beam/King post.
- The bathrooms and ground floor cloakroom are beautifully appointed with a sympathetic blend of traditional and contemporary suites.
- Underfloor heating to the entrance hall and bathrooms.
- The property is approached from a private lane with a 5 bar electric gate opening on to a gravel driveway leading to a parking area to the front of the house and the detached four bay garage/additional parking area.
- There is a gravel courtyard area behind the garage with central shrub bed and flag pole.
- From the parking area a wrought iron gate leads through a low wall to a cobblestone pathway that leads to the front door.
- There is a stretch of lawn to the front of the house with planted borders and this then wraps around the house and expands to the south and west, forming the principle gardens.
- Immediately to the rear of the house is a large flagstone terrace, with access from the kitchen/breakfast room and entrance hall.
- The gardens have expanses of lawn and more formal planted garden areas with rose beds and avenues.
- A thick beech hedge conceals the refurbished hard tennis court with a terrace seating area at one end.
- The whole extends to about 1.7 acres.
Agent note: The adjoining property, Court House, is also available for sale and the two properties have previously been incorporated together, should anyone be looking for a property with annexe/secondary accommodation.
Court House and one other property have a right of way over the driveway beyond the entrance gate. Three other houses share access over the private lane leading to the electric gated access.
Court Lodge occupies a convenient and tucked away position off a private lane with electric gated entry, just over half a mile from the centre of Westerham with its good range of shopping facilities, cafes and restaurants.
Sevenoaks (6 miles) and Oxted (4.5 miles) town centres offer additional shopping and leisure facilities and main-line rail services (Sevenoaks to London Charing Cross from about 40 minutes; Oxted to London Victoria in about 45 minutes).
Westerham has a pre-school and Church of England Primary. There is also Valence School on the edge of the town for special needs children. Radnor House is a leading independent school for boys and girls in nearby Sundridge and Hazelwood School is an independent preparatory school for boys and girls in nearby Limpsfield. There is also a good secondary school in Biggin Hill, Charles Darwin School. Between them, the nearby towns of Sevenoaks, Tonbridge and and Tunbridge Wells offer a wider selection of public, private and grammar schools.
Junctions 5 and 6 of the M25 are easily accessible, providing access to the national motorway network, Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted Airports, the Channel Tunnel Terminus and Ports as well as Ebbsleet International.
Sevenoaks, Edenbridge, Oxted and Biggin Hill all have leisure centres. There are also golf courses in Westerham and several of the surrounding villages/towns. The North Downs and surrounding Kent and Surrey countryside provide excellent walking opportunities.
From junction 5 of the M25, join the A21 and take the second exit onto the A25. Proceed through Sundridge, Brasted and into Westerham. Turn right just after the village green, by Costa. Continue for about half a mile and turn left immediately prior to the petrol station into a private driveway leading back against yourself. Continue to the gate at the end of the lane. We will meet you there.
- Services: Mains gas fired central heating. Mains water, electricity and drainage.
- Local Authority: Sevenoaks District Council, Council Tax band (2020/21): H (Â£3,936.94)
- Fixtures and fittings are excluded from the sale but may be available by separate negotiation. View more View less
- £1,500,000 5 bed detached house for sale Hosey Hill, Westerham TN16
- £1,500,000 5 bed detached house for sale Main Road, Knockholt, Sevenoaks, Kent TN14
- £1,400,000 4 bed detached house for sale Itchingwood Common Road, Limpsfield, Oxted, Surrey RH8
- £1,575,000 5 bed detached house for sale Brasted Hill Road, Brasted, Westerham, Kent TN16
- £1,650,000 5 bed detached house for sale Puddledock Lane, Toys Hill TN16
- £1,300,000 5 bed terraced house for sale Birchfield, Sundridge, Sevenoaks, Kent TN14